- Winter Conditioning – crew season starts in November with winter conditioning. Participation in winter conditioning is not required but highly recommended. It takes place after school four afternoons per week (plus Saturday mornings) and does incur a fee to participate. It's OK to miss one practice/week for physician appt/catch up on homework.
- Tryouts – crew tryouts begin in mid February. Interested students should be prepared to attend 3-5 days of tryouts.
- Spring Season – Once you make the team, you will continue with daily practices after school on the Potomac River until 7:00 p.m. (transportation provided), plus Saturday mornings. Races are on Saturdays starting in mid March and continue through May. Parents typically coordinate dinners for each boats’ athletes on Friday nights.
- Starts in late February
- Practice is every day after school on the Potomac River until about 7:00 pm, plus Saturday mornings.
Transportation to/from YHS is provided (HBW, Arl Tech*
Occasionally, there may be times when practices are held in the morning and on weekends using parent carpools
Regattas, scrimmages & races
Please do not schedule ACTs/SATs in March, April, May, or June. Attendance at practice is critical..a boat requires all 8 rowers to be on the water.
- Throughout the year -- There are fundraisers, Booster meetings, and parent gatherings throughout the year. The season ends with a banquet to celebrate the season, recognize seniors, and honor coaches.
2023 Crew Season Dates (for reference)
- January 21: Erg Relays, Yorktown High School Gym
- February 4: Erg Sprints, Alexandria City High School
- February 20-24: Tryouts Week
- March 25: at St. Andrews, Noxontown Pond, Delaware (varsity only)
- April 1-8: Camp Bob, Summerton, South Carolina
- April 15: vs Washington and Liberty/ Langley, Thompson Boat Center – Potomac River
- April 22: Off
- April 29: Charlie Butt Regatta, Thompson Boat Center – Potomac River
- May 6: Novice State Championships, Sandy Run Regional Park
- May 13: Varsity State Championship, Sandy Run Regional Park
- May 19-20: Stotesbury Cup Regatta, Philadelphia (Select Boats Only)
- May 26-17: SRAA Nationals at Oak Ridge, TN (Select Boats Only)
We are always trying to recruit new rowers! The most important thing a current rower can do to help the team is recruit a new rower. Most of our athletes tried rowing out because someone asked them to, a classmate or an upperclassman. So spread the word!!
If you are interested in rowing, please reach out with questions at anytime!
All rowers need updated physicals before participating in any crew activities, including Winter Conditioning. You can find the required form here: